Saturday, June 29, 2013

Field Trip: Wesley Forest



As I mentioned earlier in the week, I spent last week at a summer church camp.  I've been going to camp since I was in 4th grade.  I believe that I've only missed two years.  The camp that I've been going to the longest is a music camp.  We bring together a choir of students and a small band to sing and a play a concert of 9-12 songs at the end of the week.  When I was too old to be a camper, I volunteered as a counselor for a few years.  Then I became the choir director, and the last few years I have served as the accompanist.

The camp site that I go to is just a few miles from where I grew up.  It's called Wesley Forest.  Wesley Forest is a really special place.





In addition to learning the music, we spend the week having Bible studies and worshipping around one theme.  This year our theme was "Radically Different."  We kept coming back to the word "radical" all week.    It was a great way for the kids to connect to the theme.


One of the best things about camp is that it's a time when you get to "unplug" and spend some time in nature.  It's quiet.  It's a time to reflect.  





We spent one afternoon cleaning up the teepee area.  We raked out all of the leaves, and made the path nice and clear.  We also built a new fire pit and put in some benches.  We're hoping that many campers throughout the summer will come and enjoy this space.




I love checking out the new things in camp.  There was a nice little area between some of the trees with some saddles on an old tree.  I think the elementary campers will really enjoy this.  There was also a really nice outdoor board game set up.  There are three games to choose from, and the games use stones as game pieces.  















I hope you take some time to "unplug" this summer and enjoy God's creation!












No comments:

Post a Comment