Friday, July 12, 2013

Lavender Margarita




After enjoying a delicious lychee margarita at a local restaurant, I started thinking about what might make an interesting flavored margarita.  I wanted to use something I had on hand and wondered if lavender might work.  I have two bushes in my garden.  I know people use lavender in baking and became intrigued by that idea.  Luckily I found some ideas on Pinterest, of course!

The first step is to make some lavender simple syrup.  Simple syrup is sugar dissolved in water, typically in a 1:1 ratio.  The Perpetually Chic recipe uses a 2:1 ratio.  I used a little less sugar than she did.

Lavender Simple Syrup

Recipe adapted from Perpetually Chic
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup water
1 handful of fresh or dried lavender buds

Mix the water and sugar together in a small pan.  Bring it to a boil, and dissolve the sugar.  When the mixture is dissolved and has come to a boil, stir in the lavender buds.  Turn off the heat, and steep for 30 minutes.  When the mixture has cooled, strain it through a sieve.  Store the simple syrup in the refrigerator.  Keep in mind the more lavender you use and the longer you let it steep, the more lavender flavor the simple syrup will have.



Now we're ready to make the margarita.  This a good recipe, because the margarita doesn't have a strong taste of lavender.  It's lightly scented.

Lavender Margarita

1 1/2 ounce Tequila
1/2 ounce triple sec
juice of one lime
1-2 tablespoons lavender simple syrup

Mix ingredients together (I shake mine in a cocktail shaker with some ice), and strain into a glass.  I like to top my margarita off with a little soda water.  It makes the drink a little less strong, light, and refreshing.  You might also try adding a little sparkling wine.  

Head over to Perpetually Chic for some ideas on how you might use the leftover simple syrup.  I have a picnic coming up this weekend, and I'll be trying the simple syrup in some lavender lemonade!


If you like margaritas, try these recipes too:  Peach MargaritaHibiscus Margarita.

Linking up at Tatertots and Jello.

No comments:

Post a Comment