Thursday, April 11, 2013

Watercolor Crush: DIY Ombre Watercolor Art

Last week I shared my watercolor crush with you.  I told you that when I saw some fabric in a local fabric shop I was inspired to try a few watercolor projects of my own.  The first project I tried was a few simple pieces of artwork for my bathroom.  We have black and white tile work and recently painted the walls grey.  Previously there had been some black and white prints hanging on the walls.  I thought the room needed some color, and DIY artwork would be an easy way to create some.



You will only need a few things to try this project for yourself.  

1.  A set of watercolor paints 
2.  A brush 
3.  Paper   
4.  A cup of water 

I bought an inexpensive set of watercolor paints from Michael's.



This set is perfect for this project, because it comes with several shades of each color.  I decided to go with purple, because I like the shades of purple that are included in this set.  It came with a brush which I tried, but I like a brush that I already had on hand better.  I practiced on a few pieces of paper until I found what worked for me.  I started with the lightest shade and worked in a circular motion.  I worked my way to the darkest shade.  It doesn't get much easier than that.  What do you think?






I really like the way they turned out.  I might even try some bigger prints in the future.   Have you tried any DIY art lately?  What have you come up with?  Check out this post at The Little Green Notebook about watercolor wall coverings.



The Shabby Nest

Suburbsmama

3 comments:

  1. Looks great! I've been really trying to fill my empty walls with some artwork or photos. I do most of my "artwork" on the computer using photos and PicMonkey ;) I made some birth announcements that I framed.
    http://carriethishome.com/2013/03/diy-birth-announcement/
    I'll have to try painting something next! Thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so pretty! I have barely any art at home since it is so expensive. I could do this! Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Another great option for inexpensive art is an antique shop. You can find really unique things and sometimes just great frames that are so much cheaper than buying them new.

    ReplyDelete